Siraj made an incredible impact by taking three wickets without conceding a run in the first seven balls. Sri Lanka found themselves in dire straits, losing their first four wickets for just three runs in the span of 19 deliveries.Mohammed Shami then took four wickets in a mere three overs during his opening spell, leading to Sri Lanka being bowled out for a mere 55 runs in 19.4 overs.
This followed an impressive performance by India, with Shubman Gill scoring 92 and Shreyas Iyer contributing a rapid 82 off 56 balls, propelling the team to a total of 357-8.
Virat Kohli also played a significant role by scoring 88 runs, and his partnership with Gill amassed 189 runs for India’s second wicket.
World Cup 2023: India crush Sri Lanka, become first team to qualify for semifinals
Shami concluded with remarkable figures of 5-18 in five overs, marking his second five-wicket haul in this tournament, while Siraj finished with 3-16 in seven overs.
Here are all the records that were shattered during the course of India’s massive victory:
* India’s 302-run victory was their biggest in the history of the World Cup and second biggest overall. The biggest victory in ODIs in terms of runs also belongs to India when they inflicted a 317-run defeat on the same opponents in Thiruvananthapuram in January this year.
* Sri Lanka’s 55 all out was the lowest total in World Cup history by a full-member team. Canada’s 36 all out against Sri Lanka in the 2003 World Cup was the lowest total ever.
* Team India’s 357/8 was the highest ever score without an individual hundred in World Cup history. Gill scored 92, Kohli 88 and Iyer made 82.
* Mohammed Shami’s 5/18 was his fourth fifer in ODIs – most by an Indian bowler in the format. Javagal Srinath and Harbhajan Singh held the joint record with three five-wicket hauls.
* Shami also drew level with Australian pacer Mitchell Starc (3) for most fifers in ODI World Cups.
* Shami also became the highest wicket taker (45) for India in the history of the World Cup. He surpassed Javagal Srinath and Zaheer Khan’s joint record who both have 44 wickets to their names.
* Shami has become just the second bowler in ODI history to bag three consecutive 4-plus wicket hauls more than once.
* This was the eighth instance of five ducks (the most) recorded in a World Cup innings, second for Sri Lanka, after they had recorded as many against the same opponent in Johannesburg during the 2003 edition.
* Sri Lanka’s 55 was also the second lowest total against India in ODIs. The 1996 world champions 50 all out in the Asia Cup final was the lowest ever against India.
Watch World Cup 2023: India crush Sri Lanka, become first team to qualify for semifinals